NUIT DES MUSEES – In Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nice … The 17th edition of the European Night of Museums is launched this Saturday, July 3, 2021 until 1 a.m. Museums open their doors for free. Consult the menu and the program selection.
[Mis à jour le 2 juillet 2021 à 17h38] Museum Night is back everywhere in France this Saturday July 3, the opportunity to discover the riches of our museums at unusual times and this for free. For this rather special night, more than 1,000 museums exceptionally open their doors, most of them until midnight or one in the morning and offer new activities to the public. On the program, guided tours, conferences, readings, concerts, introductory workshops or even video mapping are offered in the museums participating in the operation in Paris, Lyon, Nice, Toulouse and in many. other towns in France. How to navigate among the multitude of events on offer?
“This 17e edition of the European Night of Museums will confirm the dynamism and the strong territorial anchoring of our museums, of which I salute the incredible daily commitment in favor of all audiences. Everywhere in France, on Saturday July 3, come and discover or rediscover these exceptional places, the richness of their collections and once again feel the joy of browsing them “, announced the Minister of Culture, Roselyne Bachelot.
Most museums are implementing time slots and mandatory reservations for tours due to Covid-19. The Ministry of Culture and Communication provides the interactive map below, produced by Wemap, in order to find the European Night of Museums event that suits you. Thanks to geolocation, you can discover the events taking place around you or search by city in France. Discover without further delay the details of the program nearby:
The capital puts its finest museums in the spotlight during the event. Here is a selection of the museums participating in the program of the 17th Museum Night:
- Orangerie Museum : the Water Lilies, the Jean Walter and Paul Guillaume collection as well as the exhibition on Magritte / Renoir, Le surréalisme en plein soleil, open free of charge from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Mandatory reservation.
- The Museum of Hunting and Nature renovated, reopens its doors for Museums Night after 2 years of closure for renovations. It offers six new visit rooms and an additional 250 m² of exhibition space! Mandatory reservation.
- National Museum of Natural History : The Grande Galerie de l’Évolution opens its doors free of charge from 7 p.m. to midnight, the opportunity to visit the permanent collections with its 7,000 stuffed animals, as well as its meteorite collection, with friends or family. The exhibition Ocean, an unusual dive, the Virtual Reality Cabinet and the Children’s Gallery are not open during Museums Night. Information on 01 40 79 56 01.
- The Luxembourg museum offers within the exhibition Female painters an immersion in a unique live musical atmosphere, enveloping and magical throughout the evening. Mandatory reservation.
- Mineralogy Museum of the Ecole des Mines : you will be able to discover one of the most beautiful collections of rocks and minerals in the world, with more than 4,000 samples in more than 1,000 m² of showcases with free access from 2 pm to 8 pm. Registration required.
- The Legion of Honor museum opens the doors of its collections from 8 p.m. to midnight.
- The Quai Branly museum – Jacques Chirac offers to discover its collections and exhibitions from 6 p.m. to midnight.
- The City of Music-Philharmonie de Paris opens its doors for free from 6 p.m. with a free tour of the museum’s collection which presents nearly 1,000 instruments and works of art and concerts in the museum spaces until 10 p.m.
Museums Night also takes place in Île-de-France. Here is what some of the museums offer in the departments 91 (Yvelines), 92 (Hauts-de-Seine), 93 (Seine-Saint-Denis) and 94 (Val-de-Marne):
- The Air and Space museum of Bourget opens its doors from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. with, among other things, a guided tour of the mythical “Night Post Office” and the Planetarium. Consult the full program.
- The Rambolitrain museum at Rambouillet is open to all model train enthusiasts, from 8 p.m. to midnight. It offers a free visit to discover the toy train collections on the 1st floor. Then head to the 2nd floor on the model network where there is a special nocturnal atmosphere never seen before! Without reservation.
- The MAC/VAL at Vitry-sur-Seine offers the 3e edition of its PIC NIC, to meet neighbors, neighbors and partners of the territory. On the program: guided tours and artistic workshops for all, performances, shows, concerts, DJ sets from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Castle of Versailles invites you to an exceptional nocturnal discovery of two remarkable places: the Gallery of Sculptures and Moldings, and the Gallery of Coaches from 7 p.m. to midnight. On reservation.
Here is a selection of the museums that will participate in the programming of the Night of Museums in Lyon:
- The Confluences museum invites you to discover its collections, temporary exhibitions and architecture from 7 p.m. to midnight. The whole program.
- The Lyon contemporary art museum opens its doors from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. to allow you to fully enjoy art (and the end of the curfew). Program.
Here is a selection of the museums that will participate in the program of the Night of Museums in Marseille:
- The Historical Observatory museum organizes an evening of observation of the night sky from 10 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. with various instruments, including the historical telescope. 30 min planetarium sessions. The supervision of the animations is made by scientific mediators. Information on +33 4 13 55 21 55.
- The Cantini Museum of Modern Art is open from 7 p.m. to midnight. Cultural mediators roam the rooms and interact with visitors. Free entry, without reservation.
- The municipal museums Château Borély, Grobet-Labadié, History of Marseille and the Préau des Accoules also open their doors for free from 7 p.m. to midnight on Saturday July 3.
Here is a selection of the museums that will participate in the programming of the Night of Museums in Bordeaux:
- The Basins of Light submarine base opens its doors from 9 p.m. to midnight with digital animations and architectural highlights (the day’s exhibitions are not shown). Entrance is free from 9 p.m.
- At CAPC, free entry from 6 p.m. to midnight in the exhibitions Absalon Absalon, Deux sœurs by Chiara Camoni, Badaboum by Kégné Téguia and Le Tour du jour en quatrevingts mondes.
- At Bordeaux science and nature museum, discover the nocturnal animals. Meet the mediators and discuss these specimens with surprising peculiarities!
Here is a selection of the museums that will participate in the programming of the Night of Museums in Toulouse:
- The museum invites you to discover the Magies-Sorcelleries exhibition from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. In the program ? Incongruous encounters… “During this time, the botanical garden will vibrate to the sound of flamenco”, indicates the Museum. The whole program.
- The Georges Labit museum meet you with The Chimera of the Wind between 8 p.m. and midnight, for a special trip in the museum garden, among giant soap bubbles!
At “Nissa la bella” as part of the Night of Museums, MAMAC, Matisse, International Museum of Naive Art Anatole Jakovsky, Massena Museum, Lascaris Palace, Terra Amata Museum of Prehistory, Nice / Cimiez Archaeological Museum, Jules Chéret Fine Arts Museum, Charles Nègre Photography Museum and the Natural History Museum open their doors. Know everything.
The European Night of Museums was created in 2005 by the Ministry of Culture and Communication and will celebrate its 17th edition this year. saturday 3 July 2021.
Museums Night is a completely free event that has taken place every year for the past 15 years.