(Fredericton) New Brunswick health officials report the first death in that province on Wednesday of a person who developed a blood clot after receiving the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
Posted on May 5, 2021 at 11:55 a.m.
Updated at 12:15
The Canadian Press
Chief Medical Officer of Health Jennifer Russell said the person in their 60s received the vaccine in mid-April and developed symptoms a week later. This person was admitted to the hospital and died two days later, says Dr. Russell.
The medical officer of health recalled Wednesday at a press conference that the risk of complications related to the AstraZeneca vaccine remains very low – between one in 100,000 to 250,000. She also recalls that hundreds of thousands of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have were administered in Canada, the vast majority without incident.
New Brunswick has so far had two confirmed cases of the rare blood coagulation syndrome, known as vaccine-induced prothrombotic immune thrombocytopenia.
Health Minister Dorothy Shephard also clarified at a press conference that although this death is tragic, it must be remembered that the risks of dying from COVID-19 are much higher than the risks associated with the AstraZeneca vaccine. .
Minister Shephard clarified that this vaccine will continue to be given to people 55 years of age and over in New Brunswick.
Dr Russell said her office should receive a medical opinion in two weeks on whether people who have received a first dose of AstraZeneca should receive a second dose of this vaccine or switch to a different product.