Death of an RCMP officer: two individuals charged with manslaughter

Death of an RCMP officer: two individuals charged with manslaughter
Death of an RCMP officer: two individuals charged with manslaughter

A man and woman from Winnipeg, Manitoba were charged Monday with manslaughter and other charges in the death of the young Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officer last Saturday in Wolseley, Ontario. Saskatchewan.

• Read also: RCMP officer killed while on duty in Saskatchewan

Alphonse Stanley Traverse, 41, and Marlene Velma Louise Pagee, 42, appeared separately in Regina Provincial Court on Monday morning, the Saskatchewan RCMP said in a statement.

Both individuals were charged with manslaughter, failure to stop following a fatal accident, vehicle theft, possession of stolen property valued at $ 5,000 and failing to keep a promise and leaving Manitoba, the police said.

Ms. Pagee was also charged with possession of controlled substances.

The defendants were arrested hours after the tragic death of 26-year-old Indian Head Detachment Constable Shelby Patton. The officer was killed in the line of duty on June 12 when he was following two suspects who were driving in a stolen pickup truck, RCMP recalled.

According to the first elements of the investigation led by the Major Crime Unit of the Northern District of the Saskatchewan RCMP, Constable Patton had received the alert shortly after 7 a.m. and had spotted the vehicle in the municipality of Wolseley. almost an hour later. It was while initiating a roadside check that he was then struck and killed by the van. He was pronounced dead at the scene after several attempts at resuscitation.

A farmer living near Odessa later reported that the two occupants of the van were on his land and that they had stolen one of his vans. The suspects were finally located shortly before 10 a.m. by the police in a field near the municipality of Francis, said the RCMP.

Mr. Traverse and Ms. Pagee would not be on their first charges, according to Manitoba court documents obtained by CTV News.

The 41-year-old man has already been convicted of several offenses dating back to 2005 in the Prairie province. He would then have been sentenced and would have served three months in detention for break and enter, the outlet reported.

He reportedly reoffended in 2010 and 2014, serving four months in prison for break and enter the first time and eight and a half months for break and enter and assault with a weapon the second time. In 2017, Mr. Traverse was also reportedly convicted of assault with a weapon and obstructing a peace officer.

The 42-year-old was reportedly convicted of impaired driving and attempted flight in 2006, according to CTV News.

Ms. Pagee is expected to return to court in Regina on Friday while Mr. Traverse will be heard on June 21.

The two accused will remain in custody for the time being, as the investigation into the death of the RCMP officer is still ongoing.

For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News

PREV three patients transferred from Martinique to Ile-de-France
NEXT Florent Manaudou, 50m silver medalist at the Tokyo Olympics: “I’m proud of myself”