Quebec remained below the threshold of 300 new cases for the sixth consecutive day, Saturday, while its neighbor Ontario recorded nearly 200 fewer infections.
• Read also: COVID-19: Quebec has 228 new cases and 4 additional deaths
La Belle Province declared 228 contaminations and four more deaths, but two were removed from the statistics after investigation. To date, 371,589 Quebecers have contracted the virus and 11,150 have died of complications.
The cases decreased in Montreal, from 89 to 66 infections in 24 hours, and the improvement is also observable in Montérégie (from 37 to 29 cases), in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean (from 21 to 11 cases), in Laval (20 to 15 cases), Bas-Saint-Laurent (11 to 3 cases) and Estrie (14 to 7 cases). Elsewhere, we are talking about stability in Quebec (12 cases) and Outaouais (11 cases).
Fewer and fewer Quebecers are hospitalized (283, -24) or require acute care (64, -3).
Vaccination, which is going well in Quebec, is not unrelated to this improvement in the situation. As of Friday, 92,993 people were inoculated. If we add the vaccines given before June 4 and those received outside Quebec, the overall total now reaches 6,001,080 doses administered.
“The response from Quebecers is exceptional. This is what allows me to tell you that as of yesterday: 6 [millions] doses have been administered since the start of the vaccination operation. Hospitalizations are below the 300 mark. We are moving in the right direction, ”Minister of Health and Social Services Christian Dubé said on Twitter.
Now, according to figures from Quebec, 64% of Quebecers have received a first dose.
In Ontario, the number of cases rose from 914 on Friday to 744 on Saturday. Hospitalizations continued, like in Quebec, their downward trend (625, -62) as well as in intensive care (516, -6).
Other provinces updated their data on Saturday: Nova Scotia (18 cases), New Brunswick (9 cases) and Newfoundland and Labrador (5 cases).
As of afternoon, Canada had a cumulative toll of 1,390,512 cases (+1004) and 25,705 deaths (+26).
The situation in Canada:
- Ontario: 535,419 (8,844 deaths)
- Quebec: 371,589 cases (11,150 deaths)
- Alberta: 228,668 cases (2,243 deaths)
- British Columbia: 145,049 cases (1,710 deaths)
- Manitoba: 52,261 cases (1,071 deaths)
- Saskatchewan: 47,186 cases (543 deaths)
- Nova Scotia: 5,651 cases (88 deaths)
- New Brunswick: 2,262 cases (44 deaths)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: 1,347 cases (6 deaths)
- Nunavut: 649 cases (4 deaths)
- Prince Edward Island: 206 cases
- Northwest Territories: 128 cases
- Yukon: 84 cases (2 deaths)
- Canadian returnees: 13 cases
Total: 1,390,512 cases (25,705 deaths)