Breaking news

A deconfined and worrying weekend in Montreal

A deconfined and worrying weekend in Montreal
A deconfined and worrying weekend in Montreal

The shooting that took place Monday morning in Old Montreal ended a first weekend of deconfinement rather worrying for the police, when a dozen violent crimes caught their attention, including a murder and a young woman hit by a bullet lost.

“It is a first weekend which is worrying by the events and also the influx of people in parks and public places”, indicated Monday David Shane, inspector with the Police Department of the City of Montreal (SPVM).

However, he does not believe that these are “festive citizens who came out and started shooting everywhere.”

“We’re not here at all. We are talking about criminalized individuals, ”he insisted.

Monday morning, a large police operation caused the closure to traffic of a large part of the Ville-Marie borough, after several shots were fired at around 3:15 a.m., at the corner of Gosford and Saint-. Antoine.

Photo Agence QMI, Maxime Deland

Members of the Tactical Intervention Group were even deployed at the corner of Saint-Antoine and Gosford streets.

About thirty vehicles from the SPVM as well as the Tactical Intervention Group were dispatched to the scene.

The investigation led to a search of a nearby apartment where there were about 20 people. They were interrogated and most of them released.

At least one firearm and cartridge cases were found near the scene.

In all, six people, including a 29-year-old man who was shot and killed, were arrested.

They are scheduled to appear at the Montreal courthouse today.

“This event is one of a dozen events that touch on violence and conflict, between Friday and [lundi] morning. There are at least five [dossiers] in which we have already made arrests, ”Shane said.

A young slain

Among these arrests, there was in particular that of Karl Régis François, 19, locked up on Sunday, then accused Monday of the manslaughter of Evensky Maxy, 22, and of robberies. The latter was shot and killed shortly after 4 p.m. on Saturday in the Montreal-North borough.

Photo Agence QMI, DOMENIC FAZIOLI

An SUV parked in the Rivière-des-Prairies – Pointe-aux-Trembles borough was riddled with bullets on Saturday.

Earlier that day, an SUV parked in the Rivière-des-Prairies – Pointe-aux-Trembles borough was also riddled with about ten projectiles.

According to Inspector Shane, events related to organized crime will move to different sectors of the metropolis with the arrival of deconfinement.

“The police presence will be adjusted as needed. We will see how citizens adapt. [Ça illustre] the crucial importance that citizens speak to us, that they denounce if they are witnesses, ”he said.

Concerned residents

Mr. Shane reassured residents and businesses of Old Montreal, where five events, including three involving firearms, occurred this weekend. A young passerby was injured there by a stray bullet.

It should also be remembered that last September, a criminal opened fire on three police officers, in the heart of the Old Port.

“It’s starting to be a little worrying,” Christine Caron, president of the association of residents in the area, said on Monday. The weekend was hectic and noisy. We can perhaps explain it by the need to celebrate. But that doesn’t explain the violence that follows. We don’t want it to become like on Crescent or Saint-Laurent. “

SEE ALSO

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

PREV Registrations + 46.45% in May but caution for 2021
NEXT Lesneven showcases Brittany in the final