End of the Naomi Osaka controversy, and not necessarily in the best possible way. The Japanese decided to withdraw from Roland-Garros after having taken the party to boycott the press conferences in order to “preserve her sanity.” “An unfortunate outcome,” said the president of the French Tennis Federation Gilles Moretton Monday after the announcement of the world number.
“We are sorry and sad for Naomi Osaka. […] We wish her the best and the fastest possible recovery and hope to see Naomi again at our tournament next year, ”said Gilles Moretton.
$ 15,000 fine for boycotting a conference
“Like all other Grand Slams, the WTA, ATP and ITF, we remain very attentive to the well-being of all athletes and are committed to continuing to improve all aspects of the player experience and players in our tournament, including with the media, as we have always made sure to do, ”he concluded in a short statement.
For not appearing before reporters on Sunday after her victory in the first round, she had been fined $ 15,000 and the four Majors had warned in a joint statement that “in the event that she continued to fail to its media obligations during the tournament, it would expose itself to new sanctions ”, which could go as far as exclusion from Roland-Garros, or even from other Grand Slam tournaments.