Saturday, October 16, 2021
Kandahar death toll rises
IS claims attack on mosque for itself
With the takeover of power by the Taliban, the hostile Islamic State increased its presence in Afghanistan. The attack on a mosque in the city of Kandahar is apparently also on the account of the Islamists. The death toll is even higher than previously assumed.
One day after the bloody attack on a Shiite mosque in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, which left at least 47 dead and 70 injured, the IS terrorist militia claimed responsibility for the crime. A message circulated by IS spokesman Amak during the night said that two IS fighters had killed the mosque guards before they detonated their explosive vests in the midst of the believers.
The state news agency Bakhtar had spoken of 32 dead on Friday. A provincial representative of the ruling militant Islamist Taliban said the death toll had risen to 47 and 70 people were wounded. As recently as Friday last week, more than 40 people were killed and more than 140 others injured in a suicide attack on a mosque belonging to the Shiite minority in the city of Kunduz in northern Afghanistan. The IS also claimed this attack for itself.
The Taliban took power in Afghanistan in mid-August and proclaimed a government of their own. IS has been active in the country since around 2015 and is a mortal enemy of the Taliban, although both groups are recruited from Sunnis and are ideologically close. IS regards Shiite Muslims as heretics. He had already attacked Shiites and their facilities in Afghanistan in the past.
He also claimed the devastating attack at Kabul airport at the end of August while the international military evacuation mission was still ongoing. At that time, according to media reports, almost 200 people died.