Installed in Alexandria, Edwin Simond-bey received from the viceroy of Egypt a funeral set which he gives to his city.
Posted today at 08:56
The good Yverdonnoise society flocked to the Town Hall, this Saturday July 11, 1896. There is the syndic, the radical Émile Paillard, Aloys de Molin, curator of the Cantonal Archaeological Museum of Lausanne, the members of the Yverdon Museum and its Library. In total about 80 people, including many ladies wearing hats, who will attend an unusual spectacle: the opening of an Egyptian sarcophagus. Because “the hero of the ceremony”, as the “Journal of Yverdon” will write, is “a corpse having twenty and a half centuries of age, placed on a trestle in the middle of the room”.
ABO articles are for subscribers only.