Norwegian police have arrested a 37-year-old Dane on suspicion of a bow and arrow attack that left five dead and two injured on Wednesday in Konsberg, in the south-east of the country. Investigators do not rule out terrorist motivation at this stage.
The suspect, arrested shortly after the incident, is a 37-year-old Danish citizen residing in Kongsberg, Norwegian police said in a statement released overnight Wednesday to Thursday.
“We decided to confirm this information because many rumors are circulating on social networks around the perpetrator of the attack, some [mettant en cause] people having no connection with the serious acts committed “, she added
No other suspect wanted
Earlier in the evening, the head of the local police force, Øyvind Aas, reported at a press briefing that five people were dead and two injured. The two injured were hospitalized in critical care units but, according to Øyvind Aas, there is no indication that their lives are in danger. One of them was an off-duty policeman who was in a supermarket, one of the multiple locations where the attack occurred.
“According to the information we have now, there is only one person involved in these acts,” added the policeman. No other suspect is therefore sought.
The perpetrator’s motives are still unknown at this stage. “Given the unfolding of the facts, it is natural to assess whether it is a terrorist attack,” said Øyvind Aas. “The suspect has not been heard and it is too early to comment on his motives,” he added, adding that investigators kept “all possibilities open”.
Population called to stay at home
Informed at 6:13 p.m., the police arrested the suspect at 6:47 p.m. and took him to the police station in the nearby town of Drammen. In Kongsberg, a small town of about 25,000 inhabitants about 80 kilometers west of Oslo, access to the crime scene was blocked by a police cordon and agents, an AFP correspondent found. .A black arrow is stuck in a wall at the scene of the attack where a man with a bow in Kongsberg, Norway left five dead and two injured. [Terje Bendiksby / NTB – AFP]
The public has been called to stay at home. Several neighborhoods were cordoned off, with television footage showing a large deployment of armed police forces and ambulances.
A helicopter and a team of deminers were also dispatched. The Norwegian police directorate has decreed that police officers, who are usually unarmed, will carry weapons on a temporary basis throughout the country.
The NRK public broadcaster showed on its website a photo sent by a witness showing a black arrow stuck firmly in a wall.