Accused of disinformation, the site loses the advertising revenue channeled by the American giant. The director of the publication, Xavier Azalbert, denounces an attack on freedom of expression.
Google cut the controversial FranceSoir site’s access to its advertising network, depriving the news site of part of its revenue, according to the advertising giant due to repeated violations of its disinformation rules, said Friday the American group.
Read alsoBrands finance disinformation in spite of themselves
Xavier Azalbert, director of the publication of France Soir, confirmed to AFP on Friday the withdrawal, for a few days, of their “advertising service” on Google. This measure constitutes “an attack on freedom of expression” and “undermines the viability of a news organization», He lambasted.
The publication’s lawyer is investigating “a direct summons to the criminal court for discrimination consisting in refusing the supply of a good or a service» susceptible d’«lead to an infringement of freedom of expression», Added the head of FranceSoir.
Protect the image of brands
Asked by AFP, Google said it had applied its regulation, which aims to protect brands “against the dissemination of their advertisements alongside dangerous and misleading content». «We notified FranceSoir before taking any action, asking them to remedy persistent violations of our rules.Google said. France Soir denied having been warned.
This decision comes a few days after the broadcast on France 2 of an issue of the program Complément d’Enquête, entitled: “Fake News, la machine à fric». «The site appears to have been demonetized shortly before or after our investigation. France Soir was one of the sites on which we challenged Google», Wrote on Twitter the journalist Aude Favre, co-author of the report. Google also banned the American site “The Gateway Pundit», While his advertising network provided him with an estimated income of 200,000 euros per month.
France Soir had already been dereferenced from Google News in January 2021 and its Youtube account (owned by Google) had been suspended. The media, which challenges these decisions, was dismissed in summary proceedings on June 2 by the Paris commercial court.
At the same time, the site accused of relaying conspiratorial theses had to comply with the re-examination of its site status “political and general information“(IPG). This approval was finally granted at the beginning of April by the joint committee for publications and press agencies (CPPAP), responsible for recognizing the quality of the online press service.
On Friday, the site was still showing some ads, especially thanks to the Outbrain automated ad network.
SEE AS WELL – In New York, opening of the first Google store