Sunday, September 5th, 2021
New Zealand’s premier frustrated
The government tried to deport the assassins
The man who injured several people in a supermarket on Friday was previously supposed to have been deported from New Zealand several times – without success. Two days after the crime, more details about the assassin come to light.
The New Zealand government has been trying for years to expel the alleged extremist who injured six people, some seriously, in a knife attack on Friday. “It was a frustrating process,” said New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. In July of this year, at a meeting with relevant officials, she said she expressed concern that the law could allow someone to stay in the country who had fraudulently obtained their immigration status and posed a threat to national security.
The man was released from prison in July after serving three years in prison. Police shot him in a supermarket in the New Zealand city of Auckland shortly after his knife attack began.
Attackers wrongly received refugee status
In published court documents, the attacker is identified as Ahamed Aathil Mohamed Samsudeen, 32, a Tamil Muslim from Sri Lanka. According to this, he came to New Zealand 10 years ago on a student visa and applied for refugee status, which was granted to him in 2013. It was later discovered that Samsudeen had cheated on the application. A procedure to revoke his refugee status had been initiated.
Samsudeen was closely watched by police and security agencies after he posted sympathy for militant attacks and violent extremism on Facebook. Prime Minister Ardern described Samsudeen as a supporter of the ideology of “Islamic State” and a violent terrorist.