In the space of a weekend, three men were killed by gunfire in Marseille. Morbid inventory of violence that will crescendo this summer. For different and still nebulous reasons.
This summer is punctuated by fatal shootings in the Bouches-du-Rhône. In the northern districts of Marseille, three men were killed during this single weekend. Three cases that do not seem to be related.
On Sunday, a 23-year-old young man of Algerian nationality is at the corner of rue de Lyon and avenue Cap Pinède (15th arrondissement), in the middle of the Marseille flea market. It is the Mecca of street vendors and illegals.
According to residents, the young man was a cigarette seller and was killed for a cell theft. It is 3 pm, a car approaches him. He exchanges a few words with the occupants of the vehicle before taking a few steps and collapsing on the road. The young man was killed by two bullets but thirteen were reportedly fired. The firefighters could not save him.
No connection between the three cases
Friday, around 11:30 pm, the facts take place Cité des Oliviers, in the 13th arrondissement of Marseille. A 26-year-old man was shot dead, shot several times in the head and stomach.
The city of Olives is considered a hotspot for drug trafficking. But the victim is known to the police for crimes unrelated to drug trafficking.
Saturday evening, around 9 p.m., a 31-year-old man was killed, his body riddled with large caliber bullets, in the city of Bégude Nord (13th arrondissement). Originally from this city, he did security and housekeeping.
An outbreak of violence is noted by the judicial police seized for these cases. In two weekends, five people were killed in Marseille, Arles and Tarascon.
“We find ourselves in very different cases”, explains the chief of staff of the judicial police of Marseille.
“There is no link between the fire in the city of Flamingos, the house of horror in Tarascon and the last three murders in Marseille (…) The surge of violence began a month ago, we are not necessarily in drug trafficking cases, ” she notes.
This very clear observation is not accompanied by analysis, for the moment.
16 deaths since the start of the year
The Bouches-du-Rhône, and Marseille in particular, have experienced an outbreak of violence since the beginning of the summer and the homicide of this Sunday brings to 10 the number of people killed since June 25.
The balance sheet is to date 16 deaths by violent death in Marseille since the beginning of the year:
- January 6: the charred body of a man, killed three times in the head and then dismembered, is discovered at L’Estaque (16th arrondissement)
- January 13: a 24-year-old rapper and his manager are shot dead on the Plombières footbridge (3rd)
- January 17: a 33-year-old man is killed in La Bricarde (15th)
- February 1: a man in his thirties is shot dead at the Kalashnikov in the city of the Petit Séminaire (13th)
- April 11: a young man is fatally injured in a shooting in Les Rosiers (14th)
- April 17: a 21-year-old is shot and killed at a narcotics sales site in Parc Corot (13th)
- May 7: a thirty-something is stabbed in a park near the Cité Le Castellas (15th)
- June 25: a 32-year-old man is killed and another seriously injured by gunshot on the sidelines of a football tournament (15th).
- June 29: one dead person is shot dead and two others are wounded, Cité Bassens (15th)
- July 5: a man in his thirties shot and killed, Cité des Hirondelles (13th)
- July 7: a 28-year-old man killed in his car in a settling of scores at Frais Vallon (15th)
- July 8: a young girl co-lateral victim of a shooting in Septème-les-Vallons near Marseille
- July 9: an 18-year-old killed in La Millière, another 15-year-old injured (11th)
- July 23: a 26-year-old man is shot dead at Cité des Oliviers (13th)
- July 24: a 31-year-old man is riddled with bullets Cite Bégude Nord (13th)
- July 25: a 23-year-old man is shot dead in the Aygalades (15th)