The Prefecture and the Regional Health Agency announced, this Tuesday, June 1, the death of 14 patients from Reunion Island over the period from May 22 to 28, 2021. These are 3 people aged between 45 and 64 years, 4 people between 65 and 74 years old, and 7 people over 75 years old.
In total, Reunion has 203 deaths linked to Covid-19.
An incidence rate of 137.5 cases / 100,000 inhabitants
In addition, the authorities confirm 1,174 new cases of coronavirus recorded over the same period from May 22 to 28. The weekly incidence rate is declining to 137.5 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 156/100,000 last week. The positivity rate is down to 5.4% from 6.1% last week.
If the figures of recent days show a slight decrease in the number of cases and the incidence rate, the positivity rate for tests remains above the vigilance threshold, despite its decline. The fragility of the epidemic situation does not at this stage allow the prefect of Reunion, Jacques Billant, to engage in the 3rd stage of the de-escalation plan.
72 % de variants
Of the 1,174 new cases announced:
- 1,163 cases are classified as indigenous
- 1 case is classified as secondary autochthonous
- 8 cases are classified imported
- 2 cases are classified imported under Evasan
From May 22 to May 28, 1,438 tests were screened to identify a variant strain. Of these 1,438 tests, there are 1,032 cases of COVID variants (1,015 South African or Brazilian and 17 British), a proportion of 72% which remains stable compared to 73% of the previous week.
Taking into account the 23,636 recoveries and 203 deaths since the start of the health crisis, 2,236 cases are still active to date.
26,075 cases have been investigated to date by the ARS, Public Health France and Health Insurance, of which 93.2% are indigenous cases.
36 intensive care beds occupied
In Reunion Island, on June 1, 36 intensive care beds were occupied by patients positive for Covid-19, out of the 117 intensive care beds recorded in Reunion Island. Last week, 35 intensive care beds were occupied. In addition, 88 covid patients are hospitalized in the covid medicine department.
39 active clusters
As of June 1, 2021, 39 clusters are active and 257 closed. Among the active clusters are:
11 with high criticality: Le Port (3), Saint-Denis (2), Saint-Louis (1), Saint-André (1) and Saint-Paul (5).
14 moderate criticality clusters: Le Port (5), Saint-André (3), Saint-Denis (3), Saint-Paul (1), Saint-Louis (1) and Saint-Benoit (1).
Regarding the other indicators, it should be noted an increase in the incidence rate which impacts all age groups:
- among 0-14 years old: + 15% (93/100 000),
- among 15-24 year olds: -2.3% (211/100 000),
- among 25-34 year olds: -7.5% (217/100 000),
- among 35-44 year olds: -3% (202/100 000),
- among 44-64 year olds: -13.9% (164/100 000),
- among those aged 65 and over: -22.5% (113/100 000),
- among those over 75: -16.7% (101/100 000).
- a test positivity rate down to 5.4%, which is still above the vigilance threshold (5%),
- a number of screenings which increased by 5.7% with 25,430 tests carried out (against 24,069 tests the previous week).
19.3% of first injection
As of May 30, 165,653 Reunion Islanders had received a 1st injection of the Covid vaccine, or 19.3% of the population. 78,838 received the second injection, or 9.21% of the population.