With good weather, tiger mosquitoes are back! Established and active in our department since 2016, the City of Auch is mobilizing to prevent its establishment and development.
The Aedes albopictus mosquito, also known as the “tiger mosquito”, is native to Asia and is distinguished from other mosquitoes by its contrasting black and white coloring and by its very small size. Established for many years in the south of France, it is gradually colonizing the national territory. It is more aggressive than other mosquitoes. Its bites occur mainly outside homes, during the day with a peak at dawn and at dusk.
The tiger mosquito is a potential vector of certain viral diseases, such as Dengue, Chikungunya virus and Zika virus, but only if it contracts the disease by biting an infected individual and then transmits it by biting another person.
To avoid the proliferation of the tiger mosquito, the involvement of each remains the best solution.
Indeed, the mosquito that bites you was probably born in your home or in your neighborhood. It grows especially in urban areas, in small amounts of water, and moves little during its life (100 meters around its place of birth).
As anti-mosquito products (insecticides and repellents) do not make it possible to permanently eliminate mosquitoes, it is necessary to limit their places of laying and rest.
Removing the breeding grounds means removing any stagnant water in the home and around, covering, throwing and emptying all containers may contain water:
- Empty vases, saucers from flower pots or fill them with wet sand.
- Regularly remove or empty small containers that may contain water in gardens.
- Make the rainwater recovery cans as well as the impossible-to-empty containers inaccessible to mosquitoes (cover them with a mosquito net or a fine cloth), turn the watering cans upside down.
- Provide a sufficient slope so that water does not stagnate in the gutters
- Ensure proper drainage of rainwater.
- Store away from rain all storage that may contain water: tires, plastic sheeting, children’s games.
- Maintaining your garden, pruning trees, clearing hedges and tall grasses, avoiding the storage of plant debris all make it possible to limit the resting places of the tiger mosquito.
Promote biodiversity to fight against mosquitoes. Let nature do it its work is a method already implemented by several municipalities:
Welcome the fauna, in particular the natural predators of mosquitoes such as swallows which can eat up to 3000 mosquitoes per day, bats up to 2000 at night or even swifts. Without forgetting the frogs, lizards, dragonflies and fish (the gambusie in particular) at the level of the water points which them consume the larvae and participate in the regulation of the mosquitoes.
- Avoid the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides to encourage the return of these species.
- Do not prune hedges, especially during the nesting period, namely from March 15 to July 31.
Water points (ponds, ponds, stream) with an ecosystem sufficient self-regulate and thus limit the proliferation of mosquitoes.
Installed in your garden, on your terrace or on your balcony, mosquito repellent plants have limited repellent power in space since they only act on a few centimeters. The following species will adorn your outdoor spaces, offering color, pleasant scents and a natural barrier against mosquitoes:
- Lavender and lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)
- Marigold (or Calendula Officinalis), Pelargonium and Geranium
- Aromatic herbs like mint, basil, rosemary, savory, lemon balm
- but also eucalyptus, nepeta, petunia, nasturtiums …
These simple actions effectively reduce the risk of the mosquito being present proximity to home. They are essential to limit its proliferation and to protect those around you.
Finally, mosquito control campaigns with comfort or with Biocidal products are ineffective over time and represent risks for all other insects due to the lack of selective adulticides to date and more generally for our environment.
To protect yourself from bites, it is recommended:
To wear long, loose clothing that protects the feet and ankles. It is also advisable to impregnate the clothes with a repellant.
- To use skin repellents by following the precautions for use indicated on the packaging. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
- For information: Lemongrass only protects for about an hour against bites and is not recommended for children under 2 years of age.
BURN GROUND COFFEE, AN AMAZING REPELLENT!
How to repel mosquitoes by limiting your waste?
As amazing as it may sound, coffee is a great repellant and it’s a natural mosquito repellent solution that, on top of that, is zero waste.
Collect your coffee grounds and place them on a cup, a plate or in
a bowl. IIt is necessary to let it dry well because once dry, it will be very effective as an ecological repellent against mosquitoes.
For that, all you have to do is burn Him with a match; The smoke given off will drive away mosquitoes, in a restricted area. A good ecological alternative to spirals, incense and mosquito repellent candles which have limited effectiveness in space and time!
The ARS and the City of Auch are mobilizing in the fight against tiger mosquito.
In 2020, the ARS set up 25 nesting traps throughout the department. The City of Auch has decided to join this process by also installing different types of traps in various places in the City in order to study their effectiveness and possibly their deployment.
If you spot tiger mosquitoes
- The Regional Health Agency (ARS) Occitanie is closely monitoring the extension of the implantation of the tiger mosquito.
- The entire population can participate in monitoring this species in order to better understand its distribution. It is a citizen action thus making it possible to supplement the actions put in place.
Information for travelers
In order to avoid the introduction and transmission of dengue, chikungunya and zika in mainland France, he is reminded:
People traveling to areas where these viruses circulate to protect themselves from mosquito bites on the spot, but also on their return home, especially if they are sick.
In case of symptoms suggestive of one of these illnesses (headaches accompanied by fever, aches and pains, etc.) occurring within 15 days after returning from a country where one of these illnesses is present, it is recommended to consult without delay his attending physician.
To know more