COVID-19: The “Atlantic bubble” begins to open up to Quebecers

COVID-19: The “Atlantic bubble” begins to open up to Quebecers
COVID-19: The “Atlantic bubble” begins to open up to Quebecers

With 75% of its population aged 12 and over having received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, New Brunswick begins the first phase of its deconfinement plan on Tuesday.

• Read also: Complementary approach: are doctors solely responsible for the health of the population?

• Read also: Provinces on the threshold of a new phase of deconfinement

• Read also: COVID-19: deconfinement continues

From midnight, the isolation period and screening tests will no longer be required for people traveling to New Brunswick from the MRCs of Avignon and Témiscouata, Cumberland County in Nova Scotia and the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island.

Visits for personal or family reasons will henceforth be permitted with compulsory isolation and a screening test on day 5. Isolation ends if the second test is negative.

In addition, gatherings of up to 20 people will be permitted in the province. Religious celebrations, such as funerals, are permitted with a maximum capacity of 50% of the establishment.

“Reaching the first target of our plan to return to the green phase will allow us to lift certain public health restrictions that had been in place since the start of the pandemic,” said Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Jennifer Russell.

All trips outside the province must be registered.

In the next phase of New Brunswick’s deconfinement plan, all Canadians who have received at least one dose of vaccine will no longer need to isolate themselves to visit the province.

To achieve this, 20% of New Brunswickers aged 65 and over will need to have received their two doses of the vaccine. 18% have already received them.

“We’re talking about days, maybe even hours, to reach phase 2,” Prime Minister Blaine Higgs said at a press conference on Tuesday.

Upon arrival of this phase, the isolation requirements at the hotel for other travelers will be waived. In addition, restaurants, gyms and hair salons will be able to operate at their normal capacity.

The other provinces of the former Atlantic bubble have unveiled in recent weeks.

Across the Confederation Bridge in Prince Edward Island, vaccinated Atlantic residents taking trips deemed essential and applying for entry to the province will be exempt. of the quarantine. This measure will be extended to permanent residents of the Magdalen Islands.

Tourists from these places will be admitted to the island four days later. Residents elsewhere in Canada will have to wait until July 28.

As of June 23, Atlantic citizens will also be able to travel to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. If all goes as planned, travelers from the rest of Canada will be able to travel to Nova Scotia starting July 14.

With the cancellation of the maritime service leaving from Montreal for 2021, the only non-air route to get to the Magdalen Islands is to take the ferry to Souris, a small municipality in the east of Île-du- Prince Edward Island.

With the current restrictions, and until the implementation of Phase 2 in New Brunswick, passage through the province without stops other than fueling is allowed and travelers must check in, say Geoffrey Downey and Coreen Enos, New Brunswick government spokesperson for public safety.

For Prince Edward Island, all travelers wishing to travel to the Magdalen Islands via the island province must submit a Quebec self-declaration form and a copy of the ferry reservation at the point of entry. .

While in the province, travelers should proceed to the ferry terminal via Route 1 and Route 2 and limit their stops to fill their vehicle with gas, use the washroom or use drive-thru for a meal. Passage to other roads is prohibited.

 
For Latest Updates Follow us on Google News
 

NEXT Vaccine competition: nearly 630,000 registrations on Friday